I dug back into my archives… way back into 2004 to find this. I figure that I might as well re-write this meme for 2007, as I’m a different guy now than I was then. Dates have been changed from 2004 and 2005 to 2007 and 2008, respectively. Considering that 2004 was the year that I moved to Vegas (and back) and this year marked the move to Georgia, I found it fitting.
1. What did you do in 2007 that you’d never done before?
Traveled cross-country by U-Haul, moved to a state that wasn’t adjacent to the one I grew up in, pulled a number, tried (and abandoned) NutriSystem, attended a Major League Baseball game, went to Bar Trivia, started playing in an RPG group that meets regularly, been the person to initiate a break-up conversation and see it through, buy a Mac, realized where a lot of my problems came from, saved more than a few hundred dollars. Sadly, “Two chicks at one time” is still missing from this list.
2. Did you keep New Year’s Resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
My resolutions last year were broken, as per usual. One of them doesn’t apply since I’m not dating Angela anymore (and good riddance to THAT bad rubbish), the diet one has been shot to hell again, and those are the only ones I remember. I will, of course, make more for next year.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
4. Did anyone close to you die?
Yes. One of my dogs, Moe.
5. What countries did you visit?
None outside of the US.
6. What would you like to have in 2008 that you lacked in 2007?
I’d like to have more control over my emotions, more money in savings, and all debts but my car paid entirely off. Having a girlfriend might come into play if I feel ready for it, but don’t hold your breath on that one, hommes et femmes.
7. What date from 2007 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
The day Dad, Chronos, and I walked into my apartment for the first time. That’s when the whole “Moving across the United States” thing REALLY hit me.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Being able to live alone, with family about 2000 miles away and many of my friends just as far off. I can make it.
9. What was your biggest failure?
Taking too long to break up with Angela. I realized that things were going bad even before the February visit. After the visit, things were a little better (physical contact of various sorts can really cloud rational thought) but they continued to slide downwards. I should’ve acknowledged how bad things were getting earlier, I should’ve pulled the trigger on it way earlier… just like my counselor and countless friends said I should’ve.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
No, although there was a scare that the Skin Thing Of Doom would come back.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
Since the apartment is technically rented, that doesn’t count… so I’d have to say it’s a toss-up between the Mac, the TV (that WAS this year, right?), and my tickets to visit the Friends and Family after my move. It made me appreciate my friends even more.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
Chronos still wins (and will always win this in my book). I will admit that despite his faults and social shyness, he’s a better man than I am. He’s looking at jaw surgery in a few weeks and seems perfectly content and cool about the whole thing.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
The behavior of Angela during and after the break-up conversation. I don’t need to justify my feelings and actions to anybody but myself, goddamnit. The behavior of certain co-workers who I continually bitch about. The behavior of our elected leaders. My own behavior in many situations.
14. Where did most of your money go?
Food (as always!), the Move to Georgia, bills, and buying useless shit that I really didn’t NEED at the time but snagged anyway.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Moving out to Georgia, every visit to see the Family and my friends, and (pre-breakup) the trip to Wisconsin in February. I’ll admit that the latter, in hindsight, was probably more about physical stuff than anything. And currently: I might be adopting a dog!
16. What song will always remind you of 2007?
Re: Your Brains. Because all we wanna do is eat your brains. I’ve listened to so much music over the past year that nothing really sticks with me as the Song of the Year.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you: a) happier or sadder? Sadder. b) thinner or fatter? Fatter, gorram it. c) richer or poorer? Richer. Hooray for jobs that pay seven bucks an hour more than before.
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Exercise, hanging out with my friends, and practicing what I preach.
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Spending cash on stuff I didn’t need, spiraling into depressive states, wasting time with people who weren’t worth it, and letting myself fall into the same patterns I always have.
20. How will you be spending Christmas?
Alone at home. Possibly drinking, I don’t know.
21. What LJ users did you meet for the first time?
aeroplanic (I think we started talking for the first time this year and not last?), tardis_chan and blackwolfga, trevordrakeson, halafax, herekittykitty, ruthebee, and seestephgo. I met TeeChan, Blackwolf, Trevor, Halafax, and Ruthebee in person. The others I did not.
22. Did you fall in love in 2004?
No, sir or ma’am, I did not.
23. How many one-night stands?
None. But I’m accepting applications.
24. What was your favorite TV program?
Mythbusters, and possibly one of the Secret Shameful Addiction shows. Oh, and Futureweapons. And Dirty Jobs. And most of the stuff they have on Discovery, in fact.
25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
Yes. Yes I do. If you know me, you’ll know who I hate with the passion of an old master at work on a painting.
26. What was the best book you read?
Y’know, I’m really surprised by how good Hannibal is. Aside from that, my literary horizons haven’t really been broadened much this year.
27. What was your greatest musical (re)discovery?
Jonathan Coulton wins this one, although Night Kills The Day wins a close second.
28. What did you want and get?
A place of my own, a sandwich (several times), financial freedom, a wide variety of delicious beers, a 360, and lots of other cool stuff.
29. What did you want and not get?
Thinner, full control over my emotions, a working relationship, tickets to a few ovies that I wanted to see but ended up never going to, successes on some of my die rolls when I nailed failures and / or botches instead, to eat a hamburger as big as my head.
30. What was your favorite film of this year?
31. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned twenty-four. I was prepping for the move and licking my wounds over the Angela bullshit. There was a party. We had cake and I barbecued.
32. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Winning the lottery? I don’t know. Maybe seeing Charles get shitcanned? Have an attractive lady kiss me in places that aren’t mouths? Shit, I’ve got nothing concrete.
33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2007?
The “Damn, I have too many clothes but that’s not going to stop me from buying more” look.
34. What kept you sane?
Probably friends and family. The more things change, the more they stay the same.
35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Not sure. There are several that I would do terrible, unspeakable things with.
36. What political issue stirred you the most?
Censorship. If there’s one thing that will cause me to not vote for you, it’s “regulation of media content.”
37. Who did you miss?
My friends, dogs, and family.
38. Who was the best new person you met?
I don’t play favorites like that. I’m glad to have met all of the people that I have out here in Georgia.
39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2007.
I can make it alone.
40. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
“He’s got to make his own mistakes
And learn to mend the mess he makes
He’s old enough to know whats right
But young enough not to choose it
He’s noble enough to win the world
But weak enough to lose it —
He’s a new world man…”
“New World Man”, by Rush