2014 is a year that happened. Good riddance to it. At least I’m keeping the old Year in Review tradition alive, even if no one reads this dusty ol’ thing anymore.
1. What did you do in 2014 that you’d never done before?
Rode a motorcycle. Ice fished. Got into a car accident so severe it totaled the vehicle. Got into a motorcycle accident. Became a college sophomore. Had non-dental surgery. Went to Gen Con. Got my passport. Got a second dog. Had a sibling move in with me.
2. Did you keep New Year’s Resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
Shit, I don’t remember making any. I’m not making any more per se, but I do have goals other than “survive the next few semesters.”
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Yes, a few friends did. Congrats to them.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
Luckily, no– although I was hit pretty hard by Robin Williams’ passing.
5. What countries did you visit?
None other than the US, but I did get my passport!
6. What would you like to have in 2015 that you lacked in 2014?
Simplicity, serenity, and peace. Although it’s gonna be a tall order.
7. What date from 2014 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
Sunday, August 3rd, 2014- the day we were on our way home from the Smokies, pulled off on a scenic overlook at Tallulah Gorge, and had a little animal run out in front of us– the animal now known as Dog #2, Bumi.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
9. What was your biggest failure?
There’s a new one (although leaving Veridian Dynamics would be a close second)… not taking better care of myself. I don’t exercise. I eat like shit. I don’t take my medication even though I really need to. I don’t know what my problem is. I don’t know if it’s depression, or lack of motivation, or what, but I keep on feeling like I’m ignoring my health and I can’t understand why.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Hidradenitis surgery. I had a bad cold. Sprained ankle and thumbs from the vehicle accidents. Road rash and a scar from the bike one.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
I love my Harley, and my Harley loves me. Even if I don’t ride often enough.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
KLynne, as usual, deserves to be venerated as a saint for putting up with my shit.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
Big Business. The government. Certain people who I can’t name in a public forum although they are improving.
14. Where did most of your money go?
Bills ‘n food, food ‘n bills.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
My motorcycle. Vacations. Gen Con. All of the shit we got at Gen Con. Dragon*Con (which was a letdown this year, so D*C is OUT. Also, I insist on using the asterisk.)
16. What song will always remind you of 2014?
I’m a terrible consumer of music. I don’t know?
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
- Happier or sadder? If you asked me a few days ago, happier. Today, probably even if not a bit lower, but I’m on a downswing today.
- Thinner or fatter? Fatter by a bit.
- Richer or poorer? Poorer, hopefully that changes soon.
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Relaxing in a stress-free environment. Another personal thing not fit for a public forum. Riding the motorcycle.
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Anger at pointless shit I should have let go. Reacting to arguments in childish ways. Itching..
20. How (DID WE) spend Christmas?
KLynne and I did Christmas at home
21. Did you fall in love in 2014?
Still in love. Couldn’t be happier.
22. How many one-night stands?
I shall replace this question with this one:
22. What about the advanced research that Dr. Krieger has done?
23. What was your favorite TV program?
I love myself some Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Lots of people shit on it. They are wrong.
24. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
No. I can’t think of anyone that I specifically hate.
25. What was the best book you read?
I didn’t read as much as I could. Probably the Locke and Key series, although I haven’t finished ’em yet.
26. What was your greatest musical (re)discovery?
Again, I sucked at music consumption.
27. What did you want and get?
A million Christmas things. The arm thing fixed. The Harley.
28. What did you want and not get?
I can’t think of anything other than an A in Pre-Calculus that I wanted and didn’t get.
29. What was your favorite film of this year?
Guardians of the Galaxy!
30. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
Turned 31. We didn’t do anything super-significant. Just another day, really. I think. I don’t remember, to be honest…
31. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
32. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2014?
Jeans ‘n fishing shirts and/or camp shirts. Beard- bushier than ever. I might try a Yeard in 2015…
33. What kept you sane?
Copious amounts of food.
34. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
I don’t even remember who is on my list of five anymore. I know that Christina Hendricks and Nigella Lawson were on there, because I clearly have A Type, but who else was on there? Shit.
35. What political issue stirred you the most?
The awful-but-expected midterms and Net Neutrality.
36. Who did you miss?
The friends in Utah.
37. Who was the best new person you met?
Hmm. MJ? Probably MJ.
38. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2014.
Don’t take turns too quickly on a motorcycle.
39. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
How many times
Do we chaff against the repetition
Straining against a fate
Measured out in coffee breaks
How many times
Do we swallow our ambition
Long to give up the same old way
Find another road to take
Keep holding on so long
‘Cause there’s a chance
that we might not be so wrong
We could be down and gone
But we hold on
How many times
Do we wonder if it’s even worth it
There’s got to be some other way
To get me through the day
But we hold on
—Rush, We Hold On
2004 ♦ 2007 ♦ 2008 ♦ 2009 ♦ 2011 ♦ 2012 ♦ 2013