For those of you awaiting Wedding Post 3: The Revenge… I’m still writin’ it. Have been since November. Not that it has that much content, I’ve just been a lazy som’bitch who has been doing most of his stuff via Twitter or Facebook in the form of short concentrated pellets of rage. But this isn’t about that… this is about restarting a tradition that I missed last year. The infamous Year in Review meme. Links to the 2007, 2008, and 2009 editions are gonna be at the bottom of this post (and maybe 2004, if I can find where that went).
1. What did you do in 2011 that you’d never done before? Obvious answer: Got married. Had a bachelor party. Went on a honeymoon. Not-so-obvious answers: Went Geocaching. Showed off my house to my parents. Met KLynne’s Grandma Dear. Went snorkeling (if you count flailing around in the water in abject terror then gripping the line from the boat snorkeling). Went fishing on a charter boat. Had a liver biopsy (which meant my first time in a hospital bed). Got paddled by not one but TWO beer maidens at Hofbrauhaus (after downing six shots of schnapps and a shot of Jaeger to top things off). Eliminated more than one or two books from my collection. Had the second-worst hangover of my life. Purchased curtains. I LIVE A LIFE OF EXCITEMENT.
2. Did you keep New Year’s Resolutions, and will you make more for next year? I don’t remember what they were. This year, I made no “true” resolutions. I thought of some things that I want to do, and if I don’t do ’em, no skin off of my back.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth? My friend Shade had a little girl, Lily.
4. Did anyone close to you die? Not last year that I recall…
5. What countries did you visit? None outside of the US. Sadly.
6. What would you like to have in 2012 that you lacked in 2011? More financial security. And a passport. And some waffles. Mmm, waffles. WAIT I’VE ALREADY HAD WAFFLES THIS YEAR, GUYS
7. What date from 2011 will remain etched upon your memory, and why? April 30th, 2011. The best baklava that I ever had in my life… and cake, too. Oh, also, I got married that day.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year? Again, the wedding.
9. What was your biggest failure? (copied verbatim from 2008 AND 2009…) Not leaving this dead-end job. It may pay a lot of money, but I’m miserable here and the effects that it has on my emotions and physical health are showing more than they have before. I need a fresh start… and the balls to actually MAKE that fresh start. Also, the fact that I had a panic attack in the middle of the ocean wasn’t cool at all.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury? Aside from the ever-present psoriasis, nothing much. I had a staph infection, I guess that counts… what else… the usual array of colds.
11. What was the best thing you bought? A week in a house in the Florida Keys. Also, some board games but not all of them.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration? KLynne (as usual). Also my father-in-law… he seems to be making a lot more of an effort to accept me and a lot of the tension is off between he and I.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed? Name a member of our government. I’m sure they’ve made me appalled. Name a member of upper management. They’ve done something to make me depressed.
14. Where did most of your money go? Mortgage/Car/Credit Debt/Utilities. Grown-up stuff. I think we improved on the spending money on unnecessary stuff factor from 2010, but we still have work to go. It’s just that STUFF IS AWESOME, and I like buying it.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about? I’ll give you three guesses.
16. What song will always remind you of 2011? “Chasing Cars”, by Snow Patrol. The song of the First Dance. Yeah, I know.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
- Happier or sadder? Happier.
- Thinner or fatter? Fatter, I’m sure.
- Richer or poorer? About even. House and car debts have gone down, some credit debts have gone up. (That’s the shitty part about the wedding and honeymoon…)
18. What do you wish you’d done more of? Stopping to think before acting. More romantic gestures. More applying for other jobs or at least trying to gain knowledge. More going to the gym, even though I hates it forever.
19. What do you wish you’d done less of? Complaining. Walking away. Self-destructive thought.
20. How (DID I) spend Christmas? Another trip to Savannah, as is becoming tradition. Christmas Eve didn’t turn out so well (a long story, maybe if I was actively blogging I would’ve told it) but Christmas was great.
21. Did you fall in love in 2011? I’m still in love, bitches.
22. How many one-night stands? We still need to buy actual nightstands at some point. Or I just need to clean all of the shit off of mine… and the area around it… and the whole side of the bed that I sleep on.
23. What was your favorite TV program? Battlestar Galactica (I’m finally catching up). Also, I was introduced to Drive this year.
24. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year? Yes. A thousand times, yes. One adversary is vanquished, two more spring up as a result of it.
25. What was the best book you read? Tie: The Absolutely True Story Of A Part-Time Indian (Sherman Alexie), Changes (Jim Butcher), Unseen Academicals (Terry Pratchett)
26. What was your greatest musical (re)discovery? Airborne (who I need to listen to more of) and Dio-era Black Sabbath.
27. What did you want and get? A bunch of board games. Married. Bitchin’ honeymoon. Lots of Christmas stuff. Some tools.
28. What did you want and not get? The knowledge of how to consistently and properly use said tools. Eleventy billion dollars. The balls to find a new job.
29. What was your favorite film of this year? X-Men: First Class. Rise of the Planet of the Apes (even though it was depressing). Oh, and I liked Drive Angry (not that it was high-class cinema).
30. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you? I turned 28. We kept it low-key this year… KLynne and I went somewhere to eat and played some games. Super-Excito, I know.
31. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying? Not having the spectre ‘o debt hanging over our head (although I will fully admit that we’re doing a lot better than we have been in the past).
32. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2011? The “Does this match? Kinda? Screw it, I’m late for work” look.
33. What kept you sane? High doses of medication, copious amounts of caffeine, and the fact that I get to come home (not just where I live, but HOME) after work and relax.
34. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most? None really. At least no one that I can think of.
35. What political issue stirred you the most? SOPA/PIPA. On a local level, the fact that WE GET TO BUY BEER ON SUNDAYS! SUCK IT, THE FEW STATES WHERE YOU STILL CAN’T!
36. Who did you miss? My friends back in Utah.
37. Who was the best new person you met? I don’t really meet any new people all that often. First person who came to my head is Alejandro (KLynne’s friend’s boyfriend).
38. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2011. If you actually use the shit that you’re prescribed, you’ll get better.
39. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year. When life becomes so barren And as cold as winter skies There’s a beacon in the darkness In a distant pair of eyes In vain to search for order In vain to search for truth But these things can still be given Your love has shown me proof Rush — Madrigal (Yeah, I know I did the OTHER part of this song in 2007, but IT STILL APPLIES.)