The annual tradition, continued…
1. What did you do in 2008 that you’d never done before?
Had a relationship that lasted more than five months, moved in with my girlfriend, bought (and cared for) my own dog, visited Tennessee, Louisiana, and North Carolina, spent the night in a cabin, had a shave with a straight razor, had a family member visit from out-of-state, bought a power tool (NOT LIKE THAT YOU GUYS), set foot in the ocean (!), spent the night at a girlfriend’s parents house (!!!), told someone I loved them without being coerced, guilted, badgered, or otherwise forced into it, used (and bought) a BlackBerry, had a utility at my house disconnected (not due to any failure to pay on my part, though), attended a concert with a girlfriend, things that won’t be listed here because I either don’t want to or can’t remember them.
2. Did you keep New Year’s Resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I don’t remember what resolutions I made last year so they’re probably long broken. I’m not making any next year since I know I can’t follow through on ’em.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
No, but some good friends will which weirds me the hell out.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
5. What countries did you visit?
None outside of the US.
6. What would you like to have in 2009 that you lacked in 2008?
All debts I owe but my car paid in full (yet again), more stability in my life, a new job (fuck DHR), formal education or certifications (whichever comes first), the ability to drink beer again (well, I lacked it for MOST of 2008), KLynne meeting the Fam, a trip to Florida or somewhere else out of state.
7. What date from 2008 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
The second day in the cabin at Pigeon Forge. It’s the day that I told KLynne that I loved her.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Moving in with KLynne and finding that we won’t end up killing each other.
9. What was your biggest failure?
Not leaving this dead-end job. It may pay a lot of money, but I’m miserable here and the effects that it has on my emotions and physical health are showing more than they have before. I need a fresh start… and the balls to actually MAKE that fresh start. Also, mishandling my finances (badly) in the summer.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Skin Thing of Doom DID come back, albeit briefly. And a death cold in New Orleans.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
Hopefully, tickets to see Robin Williams! (KLynne bought ’em. I’m giving her the cash for mine. That still counts, right? If not, my Nintendo DSes. Stupid me leaving the first one on the plane…)
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
KLynne’s. She is truly an amazing person. The fact that she puts up with my shit doesn’t hurt matters, either.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
Chronos’s on the Thanksgiving vacation. The behavior of certain associates and co-workers.
14. Where did most of your money go?
Food, rent, shit that I don’t need, and interest payments for the shit that I don’t need.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Getting a dog. My various vacations / roadtrips. Actually getting a date. Actually getting a girlfriend and being the pursuer, not the pursuee (mostly). Moving in with KLynne (although that also qualifies as really, really, really, scared.)
16. What song will always remind you of 2008?
“Chasing Cars” by Snow Patrol.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder? I’d say happier. I was a sad bastard last December.. although that isn’t saying a lot.
b) thinner or fatter? Fatter. My waist goes ever ever on.
c) richer or poorer? Poorer. Stupid debts.
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Stopping to smell the flowers. Practicing what I preach. Visiting new and exciting places. Cooking.
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Freaking out about little things. Fighting. Being unappreciative, or at least less appreciative than I should be (in all aspects of my life). Spending money.
20. How will you be spending Christmas?
For the first time ever, with a girlfriend. I’m going to be in Savannah with KLynne, her mom, her stepdad (I know, it bugs her a little if I refer to him as such), her dogs, and Max.
21. What LJ users did you meet for the first time?
kittypaws9, and yes… I met her in person. IF YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN. (I’m going to get in trouble for that.)
22. Did you fall in love in 2008?
Yes I did.
23. How many one-night stands?
24. What was your favorite TV program?
Mythbusters, Mad Men, Scrubs (I’ve been watching a LOT of Scrubs), Venture Brothers, Hell’s Kitchen, and Greek. Yes, Greek.
25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
Nope. My hate burns hot and furious (as it always does), but there aren’t really any new targets. The French-Canadian idiot is working his way up the shitlist to a true hate status, though.
26. What was the best book you read?
I’m going to have to say that the honor of “best book” probably goes to A Separate Peace. Brave New World is right up there.
27. What was your greatest musical (re)discovery?
Seether, Shinedown (I never listened to much of their stuff in the past).
28. What did you want and get?
A girlfriend, several sets of DVDs, a dog, visits to see my friends and family, visits to other states.
29. What did you want and not get?
More control over my life, to introduce KLynne to The Fam, a big win in Vegas, that damn thing on eBay that I bid on a bunch of times but kept on getting sniped on.
30. What was your favorite film of this year?
Drama: The Dark Knight (Iron Man was a close second). Comedy: Tropic Thunder (Forgetting Sarah Marshall was second). I’m adding another category, too… I was MOST DISAPPOINTED by the new Indiana Jones (and Semi-Pro was in second place).
31. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned twenty-five. KLynne and I threw a party the weekend of with a Pirates versus Ninjas theme.
32. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Finding a new job.
33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2008?
The “KLynne thinks this looks good on me, holy shit, it really does look good on me” look.
34. What kept you sane?
Sane? What is this ‘sanity’ you speak of?
My friends and family.
35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
None, really. The old favorites still have my attention.
36. What political issue stirred you the most?
The election in general, and support for Obama. YES WE CAN!
37. Who did you miss?
My friends, dogs, and family.
38. Who was the best new person you met?
39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2008.
I don’t have to make it alone. Also, money ain’t everything.
40. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
When the dragons grow too mighty
To slay with pen or sword
I grow weary of the battle
And the storm I walk toward
When all around is madness
And there’s no safe port in view
I long to turn my path homeward
To stop a while with you
Rush – Madrigal